Wednesday, September 24, 2008

denali...

My dog passed away today. I've missed her so much this last month--and haven't really felt homesick until now. She's been my best friend since I was 5, and I kind of don't know what it will be like going home without her bright blue eyes being there to welcome me.

She's been with me since kindergarten to 12th grade--and once I got a little bigger, she was always by my side, always there when I was upset, and even a couple of years ago when I had a really bad case of the stomach flu, she came and layed next to me in the bathroom floor. I'm glad I got to see her and really say goodbye before I left for college, but it doesn't make it hurt any less--it sucks being so far away.

Ugh it's not fair that the most loving and good things in the whole world never seem to live long enough, in comparison to a human life. I mean, turtles and birds--neat animals, don't get me wrong--can't even compare to a cat or dog--and yet they can live for 20-30 years, if not more. The animals that will let you put dumb things on their heads, pet them until you have more fur on your body than they do, snuggle up with whenever you would like, twirl around with, play tag with, tackle, play, and hug--not to mention the unending loyalty. And yet they're limited to such a short time on the earth. I'll never quite understand it, and the sadness seems almost not worth it once you lose them--but I know I will always own cats and dogs for as long as I possibly can.

Denali taught me so much, and I am so grateful for her. She was with me through the hardest times in my life, being the only one in my family who would always know if something was wrong. Having such a great animal in my life has left a huge empty hole--and I'll never forget her.

2 comments:

Nat, Matt & Felix Robinson said...

Our little white wolf pup will live forever in our hearts.

Becky said...

So sorry about Denali. I was so down when Jacque died, so I feel you.