Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Another San Francisco Update

So I've met some cool people, though some REALLY awkward people too--but hey. Some is better than none. But I went to a bonfire down at Ocean Beach on Saturday night and this is how it went:

So starting off, everyone in my dorm who was going walked down to a bus station
in order to get down to Ocean Beach. I was trying to find my friend Lyndsey, but I couldn't (turns out she left her phone at her dorm), so I started talking to these two girls, Claire and Chelsea who both seemed really nice and were both fashion majors. So after waiting about 20 minutes at the bus stop, our RA's decided to take us to another bus stop, since it seemed that one wasn't coming. By that time, some of the guys that all three of us girls knew hopped in a cab and went to the beach, and we thought it was a good idea, so we split the fare and went to the beach to meet those guys.

Upon getting to the beach, we found the guys, however, obviously those who took the bus weren't going to be there for a while, so we wandered in and amongst the bonfires, until we
came across this HUGE one with a bunch of drunk/high forty year olds dancing to techno music with glo sticks and LED lights and twirling fire and all sorts of things. So Chelsea, Claire, and I are all peeing our pants, and we spot this guy who looked like Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite busting a move. And then right next to him there was a guy in a squirrel suit? By that time we figured that was all a little too sketchy for our liking(the picture of the fire was the only one I could get without being TOO much of a creeper), and we hurried out of there. By that time I had discovered that all the guys with us were nice and friendly, however, they all turned out to be major druggies--which I'm not quite into, you see. So we finally managed to find our big group, and it was just awkward. No one was talking to each other outside of their own little cliques which had already been made, and yeah, I don't know, it was super cold and windy and was pretty miserable. So Chelsea, Claire, and I hopped on a muni bus with some people and headed back to the dorms--which was an interesting ride as well since two girls were on it who were falling down drunk and just OBNOXIOUS to the point where I just wanted to punt them. When we got off the bus at our stop, one fell down, and then the other tripped over her. I just rolled my eyes and kept on walking.

So since then, I've been hanging out with Chelsea and Claire a lot, whic
h is fun to have some actual friends here.

The last couple of days I've mostly just been wandering around, getting my bearings of the whole place (I think I have Union Square a
nd Chinatown all worked out, since I live right there, I've been walking down for one thing or another each day), and getting used to trekking up and down all the hills to get to where I need to be. Orientation was today, and I met a guy and a girl both in the animation program, Elaine and Keith who were both super friendly, so I might see them around, though they both live in apartments that are far away, so we'll see. So after orientation I headed down to the Utrecht supply store to get my stuff for my foundations class, and I talked to a kid in the ridiculously long line, and of course when I get to the front of the line, the kit I was trying to buy was sold out. So I paid for it, now I just need to go pick it up. I might do that tomorrow, sometime. I guess tomorrow there's a big tour thing, so I think I'll go on that just so I know where the majority of my classes are being held, since I seriously have no idea where Townsend and Brennan streets are--besides knowing they're really far away and that a shuttle is necessary if I'm going to be there on time.

Ugh I am so excited for class. I'm nervous, but I really am learning all of this stuff from the best people in the industry. It can't get much b
etter than this. It's going to be a TON of work, but I think I'm ready for it. I'm fully prepared to put my heart and soul into everything, because the field I am going into, while in high demand, is INCREDIBLY competitive--say for a job working at Pixar--which seems to be my and everyone else I have talked to's dream. So we'll see. If I don't end up there--so be it. There are countless companies I'd be thrilled to work for, but I have a goal, and it's actually in sight, a real possibility for my future. I'm incredibly lucky to have this opportunity, and I'm not going to let it go to waste. I'm not going to go in expecting to be some hotshot who is better than everyone else--there's no way. Sure, I was one of the best at my high school, but it's going to be a completely different sort of deal here. I'm sure half of the class has never picked up a pencil, and I'm sure the other half will blow me out of the water. I don't quite know where I stand in terms of that--and I don't care. I'm just going to go in there to my first class on Friday and be prepared to do the best that I possibly can, always knowing that I can be better, and that if I really work at it, I will get better.

I can't wait.

Some other pictures from around the City:


1 comment:

Nat, Matt & Felix Robinson said...

What a crazy night at the bonfire! Sounds like you are meeting lots a great friends though....have you approached the subject of 'fartsniggle' yet. I guess you better ease your way into that one...